Quilotoa Loop 4 or 5 day
- Sierras & Andes
- 4-5 Day
- $ 450
In the Quilotoa area, there are a lot of incredible hiking possibilities. The high amount of small towns in this area where you can find cozy hostels makes this the ideal place to do a trekking of a few days. Every day you make a beautiful hike from town to town where you will sleep in the local hostels. You can start the trek every day of the week.
Depending on the day of the week you will start your trekking you may be able to visit a local Indian market in the Cotopaxi region. These Andean markets are very authentic and for the indigenous people of the area, these markets are the center of their social and economic worlds. All sorts of ware are traded from fruits, vegetables, and animals to tools, ceramics, and clothing.
|4 days/ 3 nights
||$ 650 USD
||$ 450 USD
|5 days/ 4 nights
||$ 750 USD
||$ 530 USD
Market schedule to visit (if fits on the pathway) is as follows:
- Day 1: Quito-Insilivi
- After breakfast, we take the Pan American highway through the avenue of the volcanoes. On this way, if the day is clear, we will have an amazing view of the Cotopaxi Volcano. Afterward, we continue driving for approximately 2 hours to reach the Guingopana Pass from where we can have beautiful views of the surrounding volcanoes and the valley of the Toachi River. We hike down in around 3 hours to the village of Isinlivi. Here we have time to walk around in a picturesque small village.
Meals: Box lunch and dinner Hotel: Llullu Llama
- Day 2: Trek Insilivi to Chugchilan
- After breakfast, we prepare ourselves for the second day of hiking. This day gives you the opportunity to live in the middle of the local people’s life and to traverse Andean landscapes of great beauty. It is a comfortable trek going up-and-down, walking and crossing hamlets and cultivated valleys along Toachi River. We descend to the canyon again and from here we climb up about three kilometers until we reach Chugchilan town. This small town, with both mestizo and indigenous population, is increasingly popular with tourist.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner Hotel: Mama Hilda or Cloud Forest
- Day 3: Trek Chugchilan to Quilotoa ￼
- After a good breakfast, we start our hike up to the Quilotoa loop. We first go down to the Toachi River and follow this upstream. We slowly climb up the canyon, crossing the Rio Sigui Canyon to arrive at Guayama town where there is a chance to have a little bit of siesta. We continue hiking up through Andean crops and local houses, after this exertion, we will find our reward; we reach the loop of the lake. Once you are here you have a chance to take pictures of this volcanic crater filled by a beautiful emerald lake.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner Hotel: Alpaka hostel
- Day 4: Trek Quilotoa to Tigua valley
- After breakfast, we prepare to walk around five to six hours to Tigua valley. First, we will walk by the crater edge with impressive views of the lagoon inside, until we descend into the canyon again. Passing through the fields of small private farms we will end our trek at the local hacienda at Tigua where lunch will be served. Finally, we will be picked up by the transportation to go back to Quito or to drop you off at Latacunga terminal bus station to continue to the south of Ecuador. There is also the option (with extra cost) to drop you off at Baños or Riobamba with a private car. Another option is an extra night at Posada de Tigua.
Meals: Breakfast and lunch Hotel: N/A
- Optional Day 5: Free morning at Hacienda / PM Back to Quito
- 5 days trek:
Day 4: Trek Quilotoa to Tigua valley
￼After breakfast we prepare to walk around five to six hours to Tigua valley, first, we will walk by the crater edge with impressive views of the lagoon inside, until we descend into the canyon again. Passing through the fields of small private farms we will end our trek at local hacienda at Tigua where lunch will be served. Posada de Tigua is part of a working dairy ranch. The rest of the afternoon we will spend at a local farmhouse that dates to the 1890s and is now a rustic and delightful inn.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner Hotel: Posada de Tigua
Day 5: Free morning at Hacienda / PM Back to Quito
Finally, we will be picked up by the transportation to go back to Quito or to drop you off at Latacunga terminal bus station to continue to the south of Ecuador. There is also the option (with extra cost) to drop you off at Baños or Riobamba with a private car.
Meals: Breakfast. Hotel: N/A
- Should Bring:
- Should bring:
Warm clothing (including a change of clothes)
Gloves, scarf, hat
- Private transportation for the first and last day
- English Speaking guide for whole the program
- Accommodation based in home stays or hostel at every place
- Meals as mentioned above
- Entrance fees
- Activities not mentioned above
- Extra activities
- Personal expenses Hotel for the last night Extra nights
- Transport to Baños or Riobamba at last day (surcharge applies)
- Single suplement $50 USD for the 4 days and $60 for the 5 days trek
- Extra drinks, tips
- Optional drop off at Baños de Agua Santa, Riobamba or Latacunga