Climbing Cotopaxi: Video at the Mountain Refuge
Here are some facts you should know before visiting the Cotopaxi volcano and the refuge:
- The entrance fee to the Cotopaxi National Park is $10 for foreigners and $2 for ecuadorians.
- Admission to the Cotopaxi National Park (through “control norte” and “control caspi”) is allowed only before 4pm (16h00).
- There is a parking area at 4600 m, you have to walk around 30-45 minutes to get to the refuge.
- The refuge “José Ribas” is located in the north face of the Cotopaxi Volcano at 4800 meters (15750 feet) of altitude.
- In the refuge there are two kitchen rooms, 4 stoves, plastic dishes, running water (if it is not frozen), bathrooms, electricity from 6 pm to 8 pm, beds with mattresses, lockers.
- If you plan to stay in the refuge you should bring your sleeping bag, warm clothes, food, pure water, headlamp, toilet paper, if you want you can bring your own lock.
- There is a small shop where you can buy snacks and hot chocolate or tea.
- The price per night per person is around $10 for Ecuadorians and around $20 for foreigners.
To book a trip or further information please contact Barefoot Expeditions or call for free 1-866-ECUADOR